As you may have guessed from our menus from the past few weeks we are getting a ton of greens from our CSA. So far it hasn’t been a struggle to use them up but this week our refrigerator is literally overflowing.We have two very large bunches each of kale, chard and beet greens in addition to two huge bags of beautiful tender lettuce mix and plenty of other veggies. An excellent problem to have since my garden is still very far behind, but tough for two people to conquer. My cucumbers are about 1/2″ long and my broccoli has a floret the size of my thumb so thank goodness for professionals who can feed us all the veggies we need from June-October! My challenge this week is to see how creative I can get with everything in our fridge so it doesn’t feel like we are eating the same thing over and over again. I guess you will have to wait and find out next week how it goes. I haven’t had the enthusiasm, or need for that matter, to make anything out of our carrot greens but a true food adventurer (who has more time) probably would. Maybe someday when I am retired…For now I will just feel good about my kale, chard and beet greens and plan on some pretty healthy meals coming up! Meal Plan & Grocery List
Monday: Tuna Garbanzo Salad with Grilled Bread
- Nice and easy summer salad with great flavor!
- I steamed the green beans in the microwave since that is my go-to cooking method.
- We grilled fresh tuna steaks instead as well as some bread to go on the side.
Tuesday: Potato, Bean & Kale Burritos with Eggs (optional)
- This is another recipe from our CSA. Since we are being flooded with greens (kale, chard, beet greens, etc.) this seemed like a good way to use some up.
- Travis fried a few eggs to serve with the burritos to stretch the meal out a bit so we would have more leftovers for lunch the next day. So more like brinner.
Wednesday: Chicken, Apricot & Romaine Salad
- I didn’t include quite as much mint in the salad itself since there was plenty in the dressing but otherwise I followed the recipe.
- When dishes like this or the Tuna Garbanzo Salad call for plating each plate separately I skip that and just toss a big bowl of greens with dressing instead. Even though there are just two of us it still seems silly to dress each plate individually.
Thursday: Lemony Greens Pasta
- Yes, this is a CSA recipe too. I used kale instead of collards since that is what we had this week but any green would do just fine.
- A simple summery pasta dish that is great leftover too. And adding whatever else is in your fridge is highly encouraged!
Friday: Summer Succotash with Basil and Grilled Meat
- I used canned butter beans instead to save time and of course did not allow 1 hour to cool but instead served it hot. You should be able to predict that by now.
- I skipped the celery and tomatoes (sorry!) and went heavy on the basil and vinegar and it was a great, very quick side to go with our grilled meat.