We got our first frost this week and I of course was not at all on top of it. After dark I was running around in the rain/sleet trying to put a sheet or two over my favorite pots and parts of the garden. And I am so glad I did because it was cold and very frosty in the morning. I “saved” my beets, basil and two pots of flowers that I can’t bare to part with yet. I assumed and hope (fingers crossed) my Christmas cactus can handle the cold, though only time will tell. But it was a good wake up call for me to get with the program and put an end to the gardening season. The squirrels have mostly done that for me of late eating my two cucumber plants, my sad zucchini plant that didn’t get enough sun and never got big enough, and my pepper plant. I also had eggplant and pepper plants that never took off and fruited so my beets and basil were just about all that was left and worth saving. Pesto making is definitely on my list of things to do this week as well as making room in our house for my four Christmas cactus and geranium pots that I overwinter to add some cheer. With a toddler who likes to knock everything over and is of course very curious I genuinely have no idea where to put them. No room is safe, not even the bathrooms. Despite my frustration when I have to clean up Tazzie’s water bowl yet again after Stella has dumped its contents, it is just water. A large pot of dirt and roots would be a whole other story. Is it weird to put plants on top of the refrigerator? Despite my gardening season coming to an end our CSA is still going strong since thankfully they are skilled professionals. So we will move onto winter squash, potatoes, leek, apples, cider and other tasty fall treats. Meal Plan & Grocery List
- I couldn’t find black cod so I used “regular” cod and had a very tough time flipping it. We ended up with scrambled cod which I take full credit for. I’m pretty certain Stella could have done a better job.
- I’ve never browned capers and I couldn’t tell much of a difference but I did enjoy them with the dish. Aside from the fish hiccup this was a very easy and straightforward dinner.
- I thoroughly enjoy this dish and always add way more veggies than it calls for along with some chicken too. This typically requires a larger glass dish as well as more biscuits so I 1 ½ the biscuit recipe…if you give a mouse a cookie.
Wednesday: Tangerine Beef Stir-Fry with Brown Rice
- Since it is not quite tangerine season I used the zest from one orange and bottled orange juice.
- I used different vegetables than suggested cooking the bell pepper first for a few minutes before adding the quicker cooking greens and bok choy.
Thursday: Southwestern Three-Bean & Barley Soup with Green Salad & Garlic Bread
- I made the quick version of this soup using canned beans and quick 10-minute barley turning this into a 30-minute soup instead. Much better!
- Since it is a southwestern soup I added poblano along with the other veggies and despite the quicker cooking time I thought there was enough flavor.
Friday: Roasted Autumn Veggies & Chicken Sausage with Corn Bread
- I wish I’d had more veggies since they shrink down so much when you cook them but I really liked the easy and simple, hands-off aspect of this kind of dinner.